Sunday, October 30, 2005

Nine Important Words, Part 1

It's funny how the Lord will provide the inspiration for some messages. Over the next few days, I will post devotionals the Lord gave me from a message entitled "Nine Important Words." I received this while coming home from a training session at our local YMCA. I pray that it will be as much a blessing for you as it was to me.

Life is Hard

Matt. 7:14 (KJV) Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

This is not a negative saying. Upon hearing those three words, many may think of Adam’s judgment for his disobedience. Yet, it is not a condemnation at all. It really means that if you do the hard things, you will live. Elderly people may say “I have lived a hard life.” They have the privilege of saying that, because they have done the hard things that have caused them to live a long life. In a society where it has become the norm to mimic what others do, God is looking for people that have the boldness and courage of Abraham and Noah. Would you be willing to take your promised son and prepare him for a sacrifice? Are you willing to give up that thing that you have held so near and dear to your heart, in order that God can see that you love Him more than that thing? Consider Noah. Would you have the courage to begin building something years ahead of its time, even though others may consider you crazy? This is why life is hard. God has given each of us a mind and a body to worship Him, and He knows the temptations and distractions that can prevent us from fulfilling our purpose here in the earth. It is up to you to choose to do the hard things in life that will bring life to you and others. Consider the same text in the Basic English Bible: For narrow is the door and hard the road to life, and only a small number make discovery of it. You were not created to be like everyone else, and as a son of God, your Heavenly Father expects you to take the hard road. Resisting temptation is hard; if you do it, however, you will live. Being kind to your enemies is hard; if you do it, however, you will live. Laying down your life for others is hard; if you do it however, you will live. Remember this in your walk – Life is hard. If you do the hard things, however, you will live.

3 comments:

Kc said...

Ron I don’t know if this is consistent with scripture but my experience has been that His way is simple, but hard. I can spend 10 days trying to justify why I should or shouldn’t and only dig myself in deeper or I can spend 1 day of simply doing what deep down I know I should then be blessed.

Nunzia said...

"I never said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it." It so is.

Kitty Cheng said...

I'm willing to do the hard things in order to live life abunduntly for God's glory.