Friday, November 03, 2006

Do I really have a testimony?

Today, I wrote a devotional that really hit me hard. I have posted it below. By the way, if you are interested in receiving any of these devotionals, please contact me at rofremos@yahoo.com, and I will add you to the list.

Rev. 1:9 (KJV) I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

The word “testimony” in Greek is marturia, which comes from the root word martus, or, translated into English, is martyr. What is a martyr? One definition is “a person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.” Another is “a person who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle or cause.” A testimony, then, is not what the Lord has done for me; rather, a testimony is what have I suffered for the Lord. If I have not suffered, I have no testimony. “For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.” Have I learned to suffer gracefully for Jesus? Once I have learned to endure suffering for the cause of Christ, I have a testimony.

3 comments:

Kc said...

Your devotions are a great blessing to me Ron and I'm really glad to see you posting again.

Antonio said...

it would be interesting to fathom the function of the genetive here...

I think that you are on to something. "All those who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution"...

Suffering perfects us, and it is through such that we will obtain the glories of the conditional elements of the kingdom...

Thanks again for visiting my blog. I will have to check back here!

Antonio

jel said...

I have wondered to myself ,this very Q?


and I agree with KC, your devotions are a blessing !

said a prayer that you have a safe trip this week!

God bless!