Sunday, September 04, 2005

SSDD, or Same S____, Different D____

Well, now that I have your attention, the title really means Same Scripture, Different Doctrine. This is one of the observations I have made during my brief foray into the blogsphere. This is not to imply that this is an unusual phenomonon; on the contrary, these arguments have been around since the early days of Christianity. We see examples of some of these differences in the New Testament. So why am I wasting time writing about this? I guess because while I enjoy participating in discussions that will help us better understand the Word of God, I must also remember that Paul instructed us not to allow our faith to cause someone else to stumble. Some will find Scripture in the Bible to justify tithing; others will use the same Bible to justify not tithing. Recently, I saw comments on not1jot's blog regarding divorce, and the discussion it generated. It has been my intention to try to bring light to an issue, not necessarily God's judgment. What is important is to remember the principles Paul wrote about in Romans 14. Whatever you do, do it in faith, because anything done without faith is sin. I happen to be of the persuasion that when I married, it was for life; however, I also must remember that Moses did allow for divorce.

Some say divorce is a sin; well, so is lying, pride, greed, or any other host of things that are referred to in the Bible. And if I commit one, then I have committed them all. That is a hard and bitter pill to swallow, but it is true. So, as we continue to read and learn more of one another, I just pray that we develop the maturity to hear and respect someone else's view of Scripture, even if it does not agree with my view. Thanks for allowing me to vent a little!

6 comments:

wellis68 said...

awesome post. I'm very thankful for your last comment. Doctrine and theology should never get in the way, it should never be a hinderance. If we love God and love people everything else is detail.

JOE B said...

Hey Ron, thanks for stopping by, the comment I think you were reffering to was from another Joe. He and I discussed it one time and thought about signing our comments as Joe 1 and Joe 2. I just sign mine as Joe B, now.
Thanks again for stopping by.
God bless, Joe B.

Kc said...

Ron I really appreciate your effort through these post and your devotions. They serve to remind me of what is truly righteous, just, and holy. It just can't be found outside of Jesus at all.

Joe said...

One day I was sitting in my living room. My wife had gone out "shopping." There came a knock at the door.

When I answered the door, there stood a Sheriff's deputy with a set of divorce papers in his hand.

In a No-Fault state, there is nothing one can do about it. If one party wants a divorce, a divorce is given.

I was summarily fired from my church, where I had served as Minsister of Education.

Jesus has been more than sufficient through it all.

Ron said...

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Joe (NOT Joe B.!) that is a real testimony. I cannot imagine how that must have felt. Honestly, it seems that those types of experiences are the ones that leave a bitter taste in the mouths of believers. What is incredible about that is the fact that Jesus really had only two commandments - love God, and love your neighbor. Yet, we can't seem to do those two simple commandments. Just think what would happen if believers came to the realization that we are one family!

Rose~ said...

Great post. I am reminded of the saying, "hard on myself, easy on others". This works when dealing with controversial teaching. With clear bible teaching, however, we mustn't compromise.